Our trip in "real-time"

To view our trip in "real-time", go to:
https://share.delorme.com/PamelaStroberg

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

SO WHAT’S FUN?

For the past several months Jeff and I have been debating the question, “what is the definition of the word fun”?  I realized that I rarely use the “F” word whereas Jeff uses it quite often…

 Yesterday, we were sailing downwind for several hours in 15 to 20 knot winds and 3 to 5 foot waves. 
This type of sailing requires constant vigilance so as not to uncontrollably jibe and, as it turns, also included a lot of controlled jibing to get to our destination. On one tack we were surfing the waves which still required we stayed vigilant to maintain our downwind course but the waves graciously offered to carry us along, AAAAAHHHHHH!   On the other tack the waves were not quite so friendly.  As we were cutting through them they were constantly trying to push us further downwind than our already 130 degree angle. It required some effort to keep the wheel steady and the boat on her course. As the afternoon progressed the waves were steadily increasing as were the wind gusts. In addition, there were a few rogue waves that caught us off guard.  NOAA why didn’t you tell us about these?!!! One ten footer crashed right over the aft port side of the cockpit, where I was bracing myself just to stay seated, and completely drenched both of us. Mind you, it had been after several hours of rugged hands- on sailing under progressively ominous skies
in sixty degree temperatures, when I see a familiar gleam in Jeff’s eye.” YAHOO THAT WAS FUN!!!!!” he joyfully exclaims, while I’m sitting there stonily silent, drenched, freezing and exhausted, my only thought being to crawl into bed.  

So you might ask, why do I willingly do this? I guess it’s because I know that the more I experience, the more adept I will become. You do something hard over and over again, and all of a sudden it becomes easy, RIGHT? I’m still waiting…

Today we are motoring to our next destination of Erie Pennsylvania as the winds have calmed considerably. The landscape is gracefully transforming into lush green rolling hills that are overlooking tranquil waters. It is a bright sunny day and I am sitting on deck sipping a Pina Colada, reading “An Embarrassment of Mangoes”, and I think quietly to myself, “Now THIS is fun”. 

Wondrous journey to all,
Pam

6 comments:

  1. You asked a great question, "what is fun?" Reading An Embarrassment of Mangoes will be fun because you are living the story, especially if you begin including recipes in your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when we used to barefoot ski in the little Arkansas on new years day 18 degrees and ice hanging off us one girl after her run got into the boat and said gee that was fun with a long sigh. probable something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a day like that...rain and wind. the women took shelter below..which made us seasick. the 'men' sailed on, loving to heel. Not fun for everyone........Finished the day with some rum, finally in a calm harbor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I can't fathom this loving to heel thing

      Delete