Our trip in "real-time"

To view our trip in "real-time", go to:
https://share.delorme.com/PamelaStroberg

Friday, July 26, 2013

IS IT THE DELLS OR MACKINAC ISLAND - WTFR WE?!!!

Well folks we made it to Ohio! We had a glorious sail (cool, consistent wind and NO BITING FLIES), all the way from Toledo Beach to Put-In-Bay. There are several islands grouped together in Western Lake Erie, South Bass Island, the home of Put-In-Bay, being one of them.  While sailing there I realized all our energy was being produced by Mother Nature, the wind was our fuel and the sun our power.  Pretty pretty good!
  We moored on a ball in the harbor for $30 bucks and tender service is included. We used them four times during our stay and they were so prompt that they came before we even picked up the VHF to call (just kidding but close)!  No need at all to get dinghy off the davits.

Put-In-Bay is supposedly known as the “Key West of the Midwest”.  I’ve never been to Key West but I imagine it to be kinda’ artsy and eccentric in a decadent tropical kind of way. Put-In-Bay is more like a combination of The Dells and Mackinac Island. It meets all the requirements for a bustling harbor town while being a bit over-the-top on the touristy schtick. There are ferries going back and forth to the mainland, sailing schools and races,  families whizzing about on noisy seemingly ubiquitous battery operated golf carts, music blasting from several restaurants  … you get the picture.
Getting into the moment, we stopped at an Irish Pub/Restaurant where I had my first Guinness Stout on draft and man was that tasty! Then I had another one to make sure...

The next day, in the quiet of the early morning, I was able to really appreciate how picturesque this island is.  We quietly unmoored "Grace" and sailed to nearby Kelleys Island where we uneventfully anchored (praise be the lord!) in clay. There was only one other boat anchored in this quiet little inlet area, and only a small campground near the beach.  We grilled out on the boat for dinner, listening to Frank Sinatra, watching kids on shore having a water fight. As the sky was darkening we spent the remainder of the evening counting stars as they magically appeared.  So far so good…

Wonderous journey to all,
Pam  

5 comments:

  1. Sounds idyllic. Not at all like Key West (been there). That's a very pretty little picture.

    Where there's wind, there are no flies. I don't really understand that and where do they come from out in the middle of the lake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, where do those f---ers come from?????!!!!! Do they hatch on the water? We've had flies in wind but it was very warm. So mabye it has to be a combo of winds above so and so knots and temperature below so and so degrees. Has anyone done a study? If not, they should!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jeff my friend, I also had my first Guinness with Augie and really liked it. I really enjoy reading your blogs/chronicles. Wish you guys the best of luck on this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the well wishes Larry! Yes Jeff told me about Augie and his love of Guinness after I had the same reaction. Hope I don't get obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for thw updates. Yes Jeff I do know you.

    ReplyDelete